Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Shabby Chic

I finally figured out what I was doing wrong. I knew what the kind of card looked like that I wanted to create, but I didn't know the name of the style, or how to create it. I finally realized, the look I was going for was called "Shabby Chic." I googled and found a little tutorial about making the soft, layered look. I was surprised to find out it involved a lot of painting. So I ran over to Walmart (that's the only craft store in my dinky town), and picked up some things... flowers, paper, charms, floss, lace, and, wouldn't ya know it, spray paint! I painted my buttons and flowers and lace and even my paper! Never done that before. What do you think? How'd I do?
I used the sketch from Mojo Monday, and my inspiration and colors came from this photo from the Shabby Tea Room. I really like this photo! The theme at Heart2Heart is distressing. Boy did I use a lot of distressing on this card! I used paint, my edge distresser, sponging, and distressing ink.

Heart2Heart - Distressing
The Pink Elephant - Buttons Galore

I'm sorry to say I didn't use all CTMH products in this project. I just couldn't get inspired by our paper. Maybe I'll try this another day when I'm feeling creative.

Materials used:
Paper: White Daisy and Baby Pink Cardstock, Rosewood Patterned Pack from Colorbok
Stamps: Key Moments, Lucy WOTG
Ink: Blush, Chocolate, Chocolate Distressing Ink
Embellishments: Roses, Key charm, DMC #818 floss, and Lace - all from Walmart, Buttons from the Thrift store, White Daisy Ribbon from CTMH, Adhesive Pearls from M's
Tools: Tie the Knot Cricut cartridge (a friend is borrowing my AP), Martha Stewart lace Punch, edge distresser
Other: White spray paint, White enamel paint

6 comments:

  1. Shabby chic indeed - you nailed it! Thanks for playing along at H2H!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT job on your layering.. soooo pretty!
    Thanks for sharing with us at The Tea Room! So glad to have you:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is your first shot at making a shabby chic card?!?! You CAN'T be serious!! This is awesome - I just LOVE it!!! make more! I'm bookmarking your blog so I can see what you do next :-)
    Wendy in Tucson
    azsmistygirl@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great card! Awesome job combining the challenges and all of the elements on your card. Thanks for playing with us at H2H!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty and definitely shabby chic! Thanks for joining us at H2H!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job Sarah -- you card turned out great - TFS :)

    Lucy
    http://love2createitall.com

    ReplyDelete